Sunday, February 13, 2011

The world of pop culture through Vevo

After downloading the Vevo music video app, I decided I would attempt to update myself to the 21st century and get my head out of the wonderful world of the Beatles. It didn't work, of course. In fact, my video watching experiment made me appreciate the Beatles and classic rock even more. However, the works of KT Tunstall, a Scottish-Japanese folk rock singer, are pleasantly surprising in that I can actually stand to listen to the whole song. Weird, huh? A pop singer who can actually write a song that's decent. If only there were more like her. Back in 2006, Tunstall came out with two hit singles, Suddenly I See and Black Horse and a Cherry Tree. Finding both songs rather enjoyable for pop music, I went out and bought her debut album, Eye to the Telescope. Like most albums, some songs were good while others were mellow and can be classified as "filler" songs. (however, Beatles albums seem to lack this "filler" music, but that's beside the point) The album in its entirety was relatively decent. In fact, it was so decent that I haven't bought another pop album since(well, actually, just one other: that Coldplay album, Viva la Vida or whatever it's called. And that album is good as well.). After listening to Tunstall for a few months straight, I grew tired of her songs and went back to solely Beatles music for the next three or four years. I never seem to get tired of the Beatles, even though I have been listening to them since kindergarten. But then, something inside me decided to revisit the world of KT Tunstall. I visited her Vevo channel and discovered that she had come out with a new sound and album. In an interview about her decision to change her genre of music, Tunstall stated that she decided to take interest in a techno-electronic feel. After hearing this, my heart sank. Why, oh why, would such a talented person sell herself to the horrid world of non-music(that's what I call techno and the sort)? I built up the courage to take time and listen to some of her new album, Tiger Suit. A few songs were pretty boring, but they were not what I expected. I expected a Daft Punk, non-music, irritating dance music kind of thing. Then I found that most Tunstall fans enjoyed the song, Fade Like a Shadow the most out of the whole album. After two listens to the song (I decided one time is not enough to get the full experience of a song), I will admit that it was catchy. I haven't listened to every single one of her new songs yet, but some were pretty good for nowadays. I also, thanks to Vevo, discovered a song from her third album, Drastic Fantastic, that wasn't bad either: Hold On. In summation, if you are searching for a good fish in the sea of rotten ones, check out KT Tunstall for a good time.
 

1 comment: